During the recent re rig process aboard Empiricus, I discovered that the running back stays were frayed badly, just at the eye. I believe this was due to, too short of a shackle being used to carry them both.
Another problem with the backstays were that the leeward stay, would slide back and forth on the backside of the mainsail, causing chafe.
Chafe is the enemy.
Replacing the backstays was a given. But instead of wire, I used Amsteel. No stretch. Cable strength. Quiet and nice to handle.
But I had never spliced Amsteel. So I asked a few fishermen. My method used here is a culmination of suggestions and “Empirical” knowledge. Enjoy!
This was a fun little project. I enjoyed how the old methods blended with space age materials, for a sturdy, simple final product.